Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Quick Tip #1: Pull Your Neck Strap Up

Just a quick lesson for young and old alike.  Adjust your neck strap up high enough so that your head doesn't lean or tilt down at all when you play the instrument.  This will aid you in producing a fully supported tone.

Throughout the history of the saxophone we have heard unsupported tones from amateur and even professional saxophone players, but the best players, even the ones with a much more inflected approach  like Sonny Rollins or Grant Stewart for example, play with fully supported tones.

Adjusting your neck strap won't fix all your problems, but it will make a notable difference.

Sound Clips: (Sorry for the soft talking!)

Neck Strap Down (head tilting down slightly)
Neck Strap Up (Head level or slightly up)

3 comments:

  1. Call me crazy, but I like the sound of the 'tilting down slightly' version better...

    The level/up version is louder, though, and a little edgier.

    I was always told to sit comfortably, then bring the sax up to my mouth - adjusting the strap so you don't have to move your head to take the mouthpiece.

    I think I'll play with this a little more, now.
    Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're crazy! Saxophone sound is totally subjective. I definitely prefer the neck strap up version myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! keep up the good work... lanyard printing

    ReplyDelete